We often use the Balti Indian paste when we make this recipe, which has a medium heat, but you can use any other that you like to tailor the taste to your preference.
- 2 cups cooked long grain or Sunflower Pure Basmathi Rice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ chilli or ½ tsp.chilli paste
- 1 tsp. crushed ginger
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp. Indian Paste (Tandoori or Rogan Josh or Balti)
- 2 cups chicken stock heated
- Juice of one whole lemon
- 1/3 cup sultanas or raisons (optional)
- 1 whole broccoli cut into florets
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small tub natural yoghurt
- Handful fresh mint chopped
- 2 chicken breasts
- 100g (3.5oz) fresh baby spinach leaves
- ¼ cup chopped coriander (optional)
- Cook rice as per instructions. We used a rice cooker for better results. When cooked, layout on a foil lined tray and place in fridge until cooled; this can be done ahead of time.
- In a wok or large non-stick fry pan heat ½ oil and cook the onion for 2 mins then add the broccoli florets and ½ cup water, placing a lid on top so the broccoli can quickly steam. After about 2-3 minutes, take the onion and broccoli mixture out of the pan onto a plate or bowl. Place wok back and heat the remaining olive oil and stir fry chicken for around 3-4 minutes. Add the Cardamom, turmeric, Masala, garlic and ginger and chilli spices and stir fry for 1 minute, now add the Indian paste and onion, broccoli mixture to pan and cook the spices, should take 1 minute.
- Now add the heated stock and when simmering put your cooled rice into the pan and incorporate into the mixture. Add the spinach and when this wilts down toss in sultanas, coriander (optional) and your freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Keep stirring so all the rice is now incorporated.
- Mix the yoghurt and chopped mint together
- Divide the Biryani onto plates and drizzle the yoghurt generously on top.
Servings: 4 Serving size:481g
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||1420 kJ||296 kJ|
|339 Cal||71 Cal|
|Protein||35.2 g||7.3 g|
|Fat, total||6.6 g||1.4 g|
|- Saturated||1.4 g||0.3 g|
|Carbohydrate||30.6 g||6.4 g|
|- Sugars||10.4 g||2.2 g|
|Sodium||861 mg||179 mg|