This Brown Rice Salad recipe is highly nutritious and is great for BBQs.
It incorporates ingredients used to make Tabouli with an added flavour lift coming from the cumin or curry powder.
Brown rice is rich in fiber, selenium and manganese.
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 large tomato, deseeded and diced
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 2 cups cooked Sunflower brown rice
- 2 spring onions (aka shallots)
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 heaped tsp. curry powder or cumin
- 1 lemon juice freshly squeezed
- S & P to taste
- Cook brown rice as per instructions. Brown rice can take a little longer to cook than white rice. Once cooked set aside to cool.
- Dice cucumber, tomato, spring onions, chop parsley and mint and toss through cooled rice.
- Pour oil into small bowl, add curry or cumin powder, lemon juice and stir. Drizzle over the rice mixture, season with salt and lots of pepper. Keep mixing until all rice is coated with dressing. You might need to add a little more juice or powder, depending on your taste.
- Serve with grilled fish or steak.
Servings: 4 Serving size:198g
|Average Serve||Average 100g|
|Energy||856 kJ||432 kJ|
|204 Cal||103 Cal|
|Protein||3.5 g||1.8 g|
|Fat, total||8.1 g||4.1 g|
|- Saturated||1.2 g||0.6 g|
|Carbohydrate||27 g||13.6 g|
|- Sugars||2.9 g||1.5 g|
|Sodium||19 mg||10 mg|